Determination.

Determination.
With God, all things are possible. So buckle up, show up, and NEVER give up.

Thursday, July 24, 2014

The Pressing Issues



(Originally published 3/24/14)

Philippians 3:12 -
"Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me."

This passage found its way into my inbox recently, and the Spirit directed my attention that particular day to the "I press on" part. Perhaps it's because God wants my attention to call me out on spiritual wimpy-ness lately, or maybe it was just so I could share a little "Hoo-rah!" for my brothers and sisters in arms who fight the good fight against this present darkness in our world. But whatever the reason, this passage hit me in a new place that day. 

"I press on..."

Note that the Apostle Paul doesn't choose wimpy words for this sentence. He doesn't say what so many times we find ourselves saying day to day. You know what I'm talking about...

"Oh, I'm doin' alright..."
"Yeah, I'm gettin' by..."
"I'm hangin' in there..."

Or one of my favorites: "I'm still kickin'..." (which, if you feel like I usually do when I'm saying that one, has more of the meaning of "I'm twitching like something that just got hit by a shotgun blast")

Paul sets the example for us in the life of a Christ-follower. We all have our race to run. To run, not to saunter or shuffle. We all have a battle to fight, not to survive by lying down in the fetal position or by playing possum. 

PRESS ON! That's what Paul says. He doesn't say, "I meander or stumble aimlessly on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me." This verb is a powerful lesson in something I've heard called adversity quotient. This characteristic is that ever-evasive, highly admirable quality of the champion...the warrior. He or she who is not outdone, not done in, not run aground on the coral reef when the ship should be forging on out to the high seas, blasting through the foamy waves. 

Adversity quotient can really only come from the Lord, though. We all know deep down that, even though it's so frustrating to watch the tank of our energies, passions, and emotional strength run dry every day, we can still remain confident that somehow or other it'll be filled again shortly. Do we take for granted how that happens? Does it actually happen? The Bible reminds us that "those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint" (Isaiah 40:31).

How awesome it is to know that the simple exercise, in the life of a Christian, of plugging back into our power source in the Lord, will recharge us to keep pressing on.

How am I doing at this? This whole blog of mine is about reflecting. It's about reflecting on how much Jesus is reflected in the silversmithery that is my life, in the fire of life. So how is my adversity quotient?

I hope yours is greater than mine. Truth be told, I don't always stand tall. I don't always remember in faith that God has continued to hold out his hands to keep me standing when my own short-lived strength runs out again. I get discouraged when I shouldn't. I get depressed when I should remember that my future has hope, because I hope in the God of heaven!

But thanks to Jesus and His sacrifice on the cross, my sins of weakness and laziness in faith are swept out to the depths along with all the rest. And no matter how weak I can be, He recharges me once more, every time I need it, to rise up off my dusty and scraped knees...brush my shirt off, smear the bloodstain away from where my chin took the beating, and...

PRESS ON!!

No comments:

Post a Comment