Determination.

Determination.
With God, all things are possible. So buckle up, show up, and NEVER give up.

Thursday, July 24, 2014

Like a Sore Thumb



                 (Originally published 4/23/14)


"What you've called me to do
is the opposite of hide
Oh God, I want to break through
When I'm surrounded by midnight
Just like the stars..."



The words above, lyrics written to a song called "Torch," by Russian Christian rockers Everfound, pretty much sum up how I feel lately. I know that hiding my faith is not a conscious phenomenon, but it still happens so often. 

There's no real reason to hide my Christianity. I don't have the excuse of the young men in the aforementioned band, whose motherland hosted harsh persecution for Christians in past generations. I don't have to keep it all underground or disguised under secular forums like Christians in China these days. I don't have to worry about being ostracized like I would if I were a Christian in an Islamic territory. Sure, the United States is becoming increasingly more hostile towards Christian values and thinking, but not towards Christians themselves. 

Yet I still find myself being more adamant about my principles when I'm discussing something with another Christian. I still find myself being bolder about the passions of my faith when I'm driving down the road, thinking about scenarios that may not happen. And I sure have fire in my soul when I'm at church, lifting up worship with the safety of 300 other Jesus-followers on a Sunday morning. 

But when was the last time I went on trial for my savior?

When was the last time I let myself stick out like a sore thumb?

I'm reminded of a story I heard many years ago in a sermon. A lumberjack went away to work in Alaska for a summer, leaving his family and friends behind. He was a Christian, so he wondered how tough it would be to blend in with all of the rough-and-tumble of the lumber industry crowd. When he returned home months later, he was filling his family in on all of his adventures and learning experiences, when one relative asked, "So, what was it like being a devout Christian in an atmosphere like that? I've heard that's a pretty crude bunch to associate with." The man shrugged, thought for a moment, and said, "Well it never really came up. I guess I blended in just fine." Then his face fell, and he realized why that was....

Sometimes I wonder if I would have to give the same report about myself in my job or how my life goes in public. Do I content myself to count on people merely thinking I'm a nice guy? Do I hope that it's good enough that I'm kind and respectful and agreeable, most of the time, and expect them to draw the conclusion on their own? 

Or do I fall for the lie that I shouldn't want to stick out in an awkward way and be "one of those people," the type that nobody can relate to because all they talk about is God? Do I fall for the lie that it's just best to be politically correct in the workplace and do as all supervisors or sales trainers will tell you: "Avoid the two big no-no's - religion and politics"?

Late this last Saturday night, the night before Easter, I was walking out of a movie theater after viewing the movie "God's Not Dead" with my brother. A cinematic experience to remember in itself, to be sure, but also a poignant and inspiring reminder. I guess I ducked the swift punch many young adult Christians get blasted with on the American university scene, by choosing to attend a small, quaint, Lutheran ministry college. But I've certainly had my share of opportunity in years since, to witness how darkened are the hearts of men and women in this land. I've had my fair share of moments when I've felt enshrouded by the midnight of a fallen generation and the pitch black of a society that has truly turned its back on the one true God. 

But I wonder how embarrassed I'd be if I saw a highlight reel of all the moments I missed when I could've played the part, in my own way, of the college freshman in the movie "God's Not Dead," who stood up to his atheist philosophy professor, refusing to denounce his religious views for scholastic purposes. 

But that's what it all boils down to, isn't it? Embarrassment. We seek approval of others at such a high cost that we begin to care more about what they think of us, or how we'll fit in with them, than we do about what our own Creator thinks of us. In those multitudinous missed moments, we fear being embarrassed before men more than being embarrassed about the gospel or our life-and-death relationship with Jesus Christ.

"Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven," Jesus said in Matthew 10:32. 

This passage was referred by a pastor to the young man in the movie who was preparing to debate his professor on the existence of God. In light of straightforward Scripture verses like this, how could I ever forget to be watchful for opportunities to live my faith and speak it before others as well? 

It's not about seeking martyrdom. God doesn't want needless sacrifice, lest we fall into the lie that some flamboyant display of piety will be enough for God to favor us. Our hearts are naked to the Almighty God, and he knows when our intentions are pure as well as when they're phony. What we can do, though, is calmly be prepared to simply state the truth as we know it whenever the moment arises. We must be like any responsible citizen who, when asked to bear testimony about an act committed in public, simply and honestly tells the facts. Christians must tell it like it is, in respect to Jesus Christ. 

Granted, all of this falls under the umbrella of wanting to be able to forge meaningful human relationships with those who need the benefit of our testimony. But we will not be timid when God's presence, truth, or name are affronted, as is so often the case in our culture. We will not shrink back when someone asks why we feel the way we do about a topic, and the answer simply has to be "Because God is my source of truth and he says that it's this way....." And we must never stop being lights - torches, if you will - shining as brightly as is needed in the midnight. Even when we go about our daily activities in daylight, make no mistake about it: in spiritual terms, we walk about in this world in constant darkness. The darkness consumes all those whose souls don't yet belong to Jesus. They are inevitably hopeless and feel their demise looming near. Without our blazing torches passing by closely enough and brightly enough, how can they see where light and hope are to be found? Without our light beaming brightly enough, how will they find their way out of this midnight into the arms of their Great Shepherd? 

"And if it rains or pours,
I'm screaming I am Yours,
And no one will ignore
who I'm living for...
I'm carrying the torch."
-Everfound


Lord, God, give me the courage I need, which I so often lack,
to stand tall among the unbelieving throngs around me.
Help me remember all that you went through to obtain me from
the darkness, and how dearly it cost you to be able to call me 
your own. Help me to stop valuing the approval of men 
more than my relationship with Jesus, and YOUR approval, Father!
Help me see those opportunities to shine brightly, and 
lead those who are lost in the darkness into your loving embrace
through my testimony and bravery to acknowledge you!
Help me carry my torch for you, and stick out
like a sore thumb if need be!

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment