Determination.

Determination.
With God, all things are possible. So buckle up, show up, and NEVER give up.

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Re-solving How to Resolve

So it’s a new year - 2014. A blank canvass upon which to paint a new masterpiece. A new chapter to write with fresh ink. An adventure to be lived, with all new twists and turns of excitement to experience.

Ok, you can stop stifling your “I-hate-cheesy-clichés” laugh and eye rolls. I know what you’re thinking. I think it too.

Life is rarely the made-for-TV-movie script we wish it were. We rarely have those stellar years. Every time we make a resolution it ends up as broken as last year’s. According to an article on Forbes.com, in fact, only 8% of people achieve their resolutions.


The exact numbers in statistics don’t really matter. After all, everyone knows that precisely 36.8% of all statistics are made up anyway….. (wait for it….THERE ya go!) The point is, so few people actually set official new year’s resolutions, and even fewer keep them.

I’m here today to simply encourage you to do so, and really give it a go this year. Whether they’re to be called resolutions of the “New Year’s” variety, or just resolutions you’ve been wanting to make awhile now and, well, now’s just the best time (“No time like the present!” they say).

After all, we used to be a country of resolution-makers. But not so much anymore. The media world programs a lesser standard of moral and civil interest into anyone who's got a TV or radio. We've become a hyper-paced, technologically over-stimulated, entertainment-mongering society. And we're busier than ever. But doing what? Think of what generally comprises our time nowadays. Aside from work and sleep, the average person has probably less than 6 or 7 hours of a day to pack in all the rest of what they have on their plate. After factoring in caring for children, preparing and eating meals, and all the other even more trivial things that occur daily or multiple times daily, there’s so little time left for what we want to do with our lives that we tend to live out very happenstance existences.

But we should live on purpose. We should have goals. If I don’t set a goal for where I want to be down the road….I’m already there. Depending on which area of my life we’re talking, that can be downright depressing!

Let’s get one other thing out of the way right now, too: I know I’m not an expert on resolutions by any stretch. My wife will attest (if she has to) to the fact that I leave things undone – intentions included. Of course we all do. But I think a new year does provide an appropriate dogear to a page of one chapter of life where it can’t hurt to put a foot down and create a new course for oneself. That’s what I’ve made up my mind to do in 2014.

When I sat down to create my list of resolutions, I initially thought that 1 big one would do nicely. But how to settle on just one thing was really daunting. Of course, creating a massive, never-ending list can certainly seem a mountain too. I wound up deciding on 8 resolutions. I borrowed from a knowledge of 8 categories of life that I’m familiar with, that, to me, comprise all of my existence. Within each of those 8 main categories, I then chose a way to be specific in the phrasing of the resolution. Along with that came a need to use distinct action words, so that there’d be no vagueness about how I’d accomplish it. To be honest with you, while I’d mentally come up with resolutions before, I’ve never written (or typed) it out before. This year I did. Here’s what I came up with:


§         I resolve to walk closer to my Savior and grow in His wisdom through reading the Scriptures.
§         I resolve to become a model family man by becoming a more nurturing father, a more loving husband, and an able captain of my household.
§         I resolve to establish habits that will produce better health and body image, to have more energy, look fitter, and be more productive.
§         I resolve to manage my personal finances more responsibly to enable myself to bless my family and others with whatever wealth God gives.
§         I resolve to become a better advocate for freedom through educating myself on the principles and history of what once made America great, and can again.
§         I resolve to become a true leader in all areas of life, through reading the right books, listening to the right inputs, and associating with other leaders, and then implementing it all into action. I can and MUST make a difference and leave a lasting legacy for the next generation!
§         I resolve to become a better friend, by taking ownership of all my relationships, seeking only win-win situations, and making Christ-like deposits into others’ lives whenever possible.
§         I resolve to gain a healthier view of fun and entertainment: to allow myself leisure for the purpose of introspection, to use play and recreation as a recharging of my battery for chasing my purpose, and to bring more joy to my life and make someone else’s day.

Is that a lengthy, and perhaps overly-thorough, list of resolutions? Maybe. But let me remind you that I had to be very intentional with the list, so that vagueness wouldn’t lead to inaction. Specificity always gives greater enlightenment as to how to move forward.

With the “what” of resolutions decided, and their presence made more real in my life by having written them down (and I’ll probably post several copies around my house to serve as reminders), the biggest concern that remains is: HOW? How do they get accomplished.

First of all, I’m trying to keep the healthy view of it all, that any progress in these areas is going to be a win. Books like The Slight Edge by Jeff Olson (http://slightedge.org/) talk about how simply taking little steps in the right direction have a residual effect that leads to a win. What’s the best (and probably only) way to eat an elephant? One bite at a time. So even if I only get slightly better in all of these areas this year, that’s still better than sliding backwards in those areas, which The Slight Edge describes WILL happen if you don’t take positive action forward. There is only progress or regression, there’s no staying the same.

Which leads to the next point. How can I know whether I’m getting better or coming closer to achieving a resolution? All great leadership experts teach on how important the scoreboard is when trying to be excellent. If you set up no measuring standard for yourself, you allow your own natural self-deception to guide you into mediocrity (at best) or failure (at worst). So there has to be some quantifiable way of gauging or judging one’s progress. That’s for you to decide. But be honest with yourself. The best goals are things that are just a bit out of reach. George Guzzardo, a leadership expert who mentors with Orrin Woodward (the #6 leadership guru in the world), says “Vision must be believable but border on the unbelievable.” So have vision for where you want to be in a given area, and make it bold, but achievable with a good stretch. You want to know you overcame some things to get it, but also not be downtrodden if you miss it by a mile because it wasn’t truly attainable.

Within goal-setting we find probably the greatest amount of difficulty. I’m not going to get terribly nitty-gritty here because, as I’ve already readily admitted, I’m no resolutions expert. What I’ve learned about aiming for something and then going after it is all material that I’ve found elsewhere. An excellent book that can help you really take hold of this whole idea is called Resolved: 13 Resolutions for LIFE by best-selling author Orrin Woodward. You can even find a personal development program – something kind of like P90X for your mind – called the Mental Fitness Challenge (http://www.mental-fitness-challenge.com/), which has modules based off 3 leadership books, of which Woodward's book is one. Chapters 5 and 6 are extremely helpful on this topic of gameplanning and executing.

Finally, the biggest thing about resolutions is your “Why.” As you sit and think with eyes closed about the “new you” in whatever area your resolution(s) fall(s) (and visualization is a huge key to accomplishing your goal – just ask any pro athlete, Olympian, etc), what is ultimately driving you?

For me, it’s my faith. Rather, it’s the object of my faith. I don’t want my blog to be about pushing my brand of faith on anyone else, but to me there’s an undeniable connection between one’s spiritual foundation and their motivation in life. I personally aim to become a better, healthier, more loving, more highly functional, leadership-heavy individual because I believe I can give glory to my God that way. He has given me a life that is incredible and I’m unworthy of it all. He has prospered me despite my wanderings and blaspheming behavior. He has loved me with good fortunes, the surroundings of loving people, and most importantly by promising a permanent address in heaven after my time’s up here on Earth.

My life, and everything I aim to do and do well, is a thank offering for me. Just like ancient people used to sacrifice things to their deities (the people of Israel did, to the now Judeo-Christian God) on altars, so I lift up my life, my humble efforts, along with my failings, and place it on a pyre and light it up, so the smoke signals and aromas of my performance show “fruit on the tree” that I’m a real believer and not a pretender. That is my ultimate motivation.

Secondary to that – and also tremendously important – is the blessing I hope that achieving these resolutions brings to everyone around me. Many of these resolutions have to do with others directly, and I want to be a better me for them too. Only instead of their benefit or approval being my only motivation, it’s more of a byproduct.

Ultimately, whether you find faith like mine as your starting point for any of this, I most of all want to encourage you to try out the approach I’m trying out this year, to knock resolutions out of the park. It’s been a bane in many people’s existence, but it’s a problem that can be solved. Maybe one to be re-solved.

I wish you the best in becoming your best!


Oh, and….Happy New Year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment